- 11/07/2018 - 11/07/2030
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Managing Health & Safety States
113 When the pool is in use, there must be a safe system of work to identify a person in difficulty and ensure that a rescue can be performed. For example, in the absence of lifeguards, there should be designated ‘on-call’ competent staff, to respond immediately to deal with any emergency. They should be suitably trained and capable of reaching the poolside in time to perform a rescue and provide emergency first aid if the alarm is raised. (HSG179)
The Pool Emergency Responder qualification is designed to train staff working in and around hotels and leisure clubs which traditionally have smaller pools which are shallower than 1.5m. On the course you will learn how to respond to a swimming pool incident, perform CPR, first aid, and aquatic rescue skills including basic spinal injury management.
This makes the qualification ideal for use in hotel and leisure club facilities where it’s been identified that constant poolside supervision isn’t required for a smaller pool, or by duty managers who don’t typically lifeguard but may wish to hold a qualification to support their lifeguard team in an emergency.
An Emergency First Aid At Work Level 3 Qualification can be integrated in with the course, please ask about this option when requesting information.
Who should attend?
The qualification has been designed for people who are employed in swimming pools where a risk assessment has identified full pool supervision is not required, for example hotel or leisure clubs pools which pool depth is not greater than 1.50 metres.
Before you start …. Can you do this ?
- Over the age of 16 years
- Be able to surface dive and recover an object from the deepest part of the pool
- Be able to swim 25 metres(Candidates who cannot swim must be able to demonstrate the ability to wade, and effect a rescue, in a pool with a depth no greater than chest depth
The content of the course covers:
- Understand health and safety legislation for the swimming pool environment
- Understand Pool Safety Operating Procedures
- Understand hazards, risks and control measures in a swimming pool environment
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the Pool Emergency Responder
- Be able to perform a rescue using suitable rescue equipment
- Be able to perform a pool rescue
- Be able to rescue an unconscious casualty from the pool floor
- Be able to rescue a casualty suffering from a suspected spinal cord injury
- Be able to assess an incident
- Be able to manage an unconscious casualty who is breathing normally
Course Duration :16 hours (2 days)
This qualification is tutor assessed through the completion of worksheets and practical demonstrations. Worksheets are to be completed independently by each learner, with the tutor acting as the invigilator. Any incorrect worksheet answers will be checked orally by the assessor, through the use of supplementary questioning.
Qualification Expiry/ Re-qualification
How to re-qualify:
Qualification is valid for two years, candidates must complete an 16 hours training course before qualification expires or complete a course as new candidate.
Please contact us for information on this course.
Courses can be delivered on site for your business.