- RLSS OWL -Wildshore Delamere 8th July 20
08/07/2020 - 10/07/2020
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- RLSS OWL -Wildshore Delamere 13th July 20
13/07/2020 - 15/07/2020
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Venue Phone: 07883071220
Venue Website: https://www.wildshoredelamere.co.uk/Address:
Event Phone: 07883 071 220
Open water swimming is the fastest growing sport worldwide and due to increasing popularity, there is a risk that lifeguards without all of the skills they need maybe asked to lifeguard open water.
The Open Water Lifeguard qualification enables candidates with no previous lifeguard experience to become qualified. By attaining this qualification candidates will have been assessed as competent to provide supervision and rescue cover for planned, organised and risk-assessed activities in open water (still, non-tidal).
The Open Water Lifeguard Qualification delivered over three days, is valid is 2 years and is independently assessed
Who should attend?
Lifeguards who are interested in supervising open water events(still /non tidal)
- Open Water Swim Competitions
- Public inland bathing sites
- Adventure Races
- Must be 16 years of age at the date of assessment
- Be able to meet the following criteria:
- Must complete minimum guided learning hours
- Successfully complete the course assessment
What you will learn.
The course content covers:
The training and assessment for the module is split into three sections:
Section 1 – The Open Water Lifeguard, environment, hazards and supervision
Section 2 – Responding to an emergency and taking action
Section 3 – CPR and First Aid
Course Duration: New candidates – 20 hrs including assessment.
Assessment for the OWL takes place at the end of the course. It determines your knowledge and understanding of the principles of working as a Open Water lifeguard and assesses your ability to apply the skills and knowledge to keep people safe in open water.
The assessment is split into three sections:
- Practical Open Water assessment
- Theory Assessment – verbal question and answer session with the assessor
- Practical First Aid & CPR assessment
Continually assessed on course and an independent assessment at the end of the course
Qualification Expiry/ Requalification
How long does it last for ?
- It lasts for 2 years from initial course assessment date.
- Candidates need to complete 10 hours training or evidence of 10 hours ongoing training plus assessment